Corporate Diversity Training
The modern work environment is increasingly diverse, with race, gender, sexuality, religion, and politics all intermingling on a daily basis. We also live in an increasingly litigious society, where perceived inappropriate words or actions can result in lawsuits. If you own a business of any kind, be it a mom-and-pop or a multinational corporation, you need to ensure that the work environment you foster is just, equal, and free of strife. Not only will this increase employee loyalty and productivity, it will keep you out of the courtroom. This is why diversity training is so important throughout all levels of a company.
As an employer and an attorney who practices employment law, Eric L. Guster is familiar with all facets of creating and maintaining a healthy workplace culture. Guster Law Firm, LLC provides comprehensive diversity training to companies of all sizes. Call (877) 487-8375 for a free consultation on how you can improve your company’s work environment.
Topics Covered in Corporate Diversity Training
There are as many aspects of corporate diversity as there are parts in a watch, and each is as vital in its function as the next. Topics we will touch on in various levels of depth include:
- Company Values:
- What are these values, and is everyone on the same page?
- Cross-Cultural Communication:
- Are you always mindful of race, gender, and religion?
- Complying with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC):
- What is the EEOC and why is it important?
- Affirmative Action:
- How integrated are your hiring practices?
- Accommodating Employees with Disabilities:
- Is your building up to code? Are you unintentionally discriminating against people currently living with disabilities?
- Hiring, Disciplinary, and Termination Practices and Policies:
- How can you protect the company against wrongful termination?
- Mediating Workplace Disputes:
- How do you settle workplace disputes while being fair to all parties involved?
- Training of Employees and Supervisors:
- What’s the best approach in effectively training your team?
- Pay Disputes:
- What is your legal obligation and how can you safeguard against legal matters?
- Reviews and Promotions:
- What are the policies and procedures outlined in the employee manual? Are you following these policies the same way for all employees?
And finally, one of the most important aspects of corporate diversity training deals with harassment and discrimination in the workplace. We can review your current policy manual to ensure that it’s compliant with all applicable laws and regulations, and help you foster a work environment where everyone is treated fairly and equally. After we’ve reviewed the potential root of the problem via the employee manual and other documentation, we’ll go over the proper steps to ensure that your company is doing its very best to prevent workplace harassment and discrimination issues from occurring, or in some cases reoccurring.
We’ll discuss the following concerns that often accompany harassment and discrimination complaints and other issues your company may be facing…
- Investigating Claims - the types information you should be looking for and any foreseeable pitfalls that could harm the company
- The Importance of Documentation - the proper steps and necessary paper trail your company needs to ensure that it did everything within its power to correct the situation
- Sexual Harassment - who’s to blame and how the company can prevent situations like this from popping up in the future
- Racial/Gender/Age Discrimination - treating all employees equally to prevent the company from becoming an active participant in a discrimination claim
- Size and Physical Appearance Discrimination - properly reprimanding at-fault parties involved and establishing a workplace where future discrimination cannot take place
- Bullying - how to properly handle issues so that the company exonerates itself from fault and builds towards preventing similar situations from occurring in the future
- Threats and Violence - knowing when to call the authorities to protect the well-being of not only employees directly involved, but the rest of the company as well
- Preventing Retaliation - Diffusing bad situations so that all parties involved are satisfied with the outcome, and no future actions are taken against any involved or non-involved parties
Diversity in the workplace is important at all levels of a company, from the executive level on down. To ensure that your company’s diversity training is thorough and all parties involved are properly taught best practices for the workplace, it is critical to bring in a neutral third party that has no history with your company. Guster Law Firm, LLC can provide you with an objective voice to communicate with your employees and nurture a harmonious work environment free of discrimination. Call our Birmingham office at (877) 487-8375 to find out more about our diversity training programs and how Eric Guster can help bring your company up to speed.