Birmingham Law Firm
Call Today 205.386.6844
Birmingham Child Support Lawyers Guster Law Firm, LLC

Birmingham Child Support Attorneys

Determining, Enforcing & Modifying Child Support in Alabama

Many people think they can handle child support issues on their own. They don't call a family law attorney for help. What people later realize, however, is that their efforts in trying to save money in the beginning can end up costing far more in the long run. Without a skilled Birmingham family law attorney directing them on child support issues, a person could end up making mistakes that will not only affect their future, but their child's future. For example, there could be mistakes in calculating how much is owed. That mistake could cost them thousands of dollars – or more.

At Guster Law Firm, LLC, we understand Alabama child support laws and use this knowledge to help our clients reach beneficial support arrangements. Whether you may be required to pay or may be entitled to receive child support, we can advise you of your rights and options to protect your financial security and your child’s best interests. We can also help with child support enforcement and modifications if a change in circumstances should warrant a higher or lower payment.

Find out more about child support by calling (205) 386-6844.

How Is Child Support Calculated?

While divorcing spouses can reach their own agreement regarding child support, if the courts are involved and determine this aspect of a divorce, they will use a set formula to calculate support payments.

Child support in Alabama is determined in the following way:

  • Calculate each parent’s gross income and add them together.
  • Take this combined gross income and compare it to the Alabama Schedule of Basic Child-Support Obligations, which is based on the number of children the parents have.
  • Adjust this figure based on any additional expenses, such as childcare or medical bills.
  • Divide this final figure between the parents based on their gross income.

Let’s look at this calculation in practice. Barbara and Jim have two children and are getting a divorce. Barbara makes $60,000 per year and Jim makes $90,000 per year. Based on their combined gross income of $150,000, they would need to provide $1,859 per month in support. Their children do not have any special medical or childcare needs, so the total child support amount is $1,859. This amount would then be divided between Barbara and Jim based on the amount of money they make. Because Barbara makes 40% of their combined gross income, she would be responsible for 40% of the child support, or $743.60. Jim would be responsible for the other 60%, or $1,115.40.

Interested in finding out more? Call a Birmingham child support lawyer at (205) 386-6844.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • The Dangers of Texting While Driving

    Distracted driving is a dangerous habit no one should engage in and, unfortunately, many do. There are many forms of distracted driving, though ...

    Continue Reading
  • Why You Shouldn't Call Your Insurance Company Right After an Accident

    The steps you take after an accident can have a substantial impact on your right to seek compensation for any injuries or property damage that you ...

    Continue Reading
  • Summertime Injuries

    With the weather warming up and summer almost officially upon us, you and your children are going to want to take advantage of these bright, sunny ...

    Continue Reading