Birmingham Marital Agreement Attorneys
Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements in Alabama
Broadly defined, a marital agreement is any agreement between spouses or soon-to-be spouses regarding property ownership, asset division, and other relevant issues related to their marriage. A marital agreement, such as a prenuptial agreement (entered into before a marriage) or postnuptial agreement (entered into during a marriage), may provide for how property, assets, and even custody or visitation may be addressed in the event of a divorce or separation.
If you are considering a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement, or have been given one by your fiancé/fiancée or spouse, it is important to involve a Birmingham marital agreement attorney. At Guster Law Firm, LLC, LLC, we can not only draft a legally sound prenuptial or postnuptial agreement, but we can review such an agreement to make sure your rights are not being violated in any way. We strongly recommend that you have a family law attorney review any written agreement before you sign, no matter how much you trust or love your partner.
For experienced help with a marital agreement, call (205) 386-6844. We’ve been helping clients in the Birmingham area for 15 years.
Why a Marital Agreement?
Although it is true that we do not marry with the thought or intent that we will divorce or separate, this is a common occurrence across the United States. Having a marital agreement in place can make sure you are protected. It may even make a divorce or separation somewhat easier if the terms of property division and other issues are already laid out.
A prenuptial agreement or postnuptial agreement can offer the following benefits:
- It can protect the inheritance of children from a previous marriage.
- It can protect you from having to assume your spouse’s debt, if he/she has significant debt from prior to your marriage.
- It can address custody, visitation, and decision-making regarding your children, if you have any.
- It can limit and define spousal support.
- If you own a business, a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement can protect this from being subject to property division in the event of a divorce.
To learn more about marital agreements and how they may help you, call a Birmingham family lawyer at (205) 386-6844.