The steps you take after an accident can have a substantial impact on your right to seek compensation for any injuries or property damage that you have incurred. Many people assume that they are obligated to call their insurance company first. Although you can call your insurer after an accident, you also have the right to hire a lawyer to make sure you make informed decisions about your accident claim. Below, we explain why you shouldn’t call your insurance company immediately after an accident.
Tricks Insurers Use
Insurers have numerous tricks that they will try to use on people who do not have legal representation. These companies want to limit the amount of money that you can’t get for an accident claim because it will increase their profit margins. Often, an insurance adjuster will use a friendly persona to get you to agree to a settlement that is far less than what you deserve.
Common tactics used by insurance adjusters to avoid paying the full value of an accident claim include:
- Outright denying a claim
- Making you think you will lose your case if it goes to trial
- Disputing medical bills and expenses
- Undervaluing medical bills
- Claiming your injuries weren’t caused by the accident
- Using statements you have made against you
- Pressuring you to settle your claim before you have the opportunity to consult with an attorney
- Insisting that you provide them with a recorded statement
- Acting concerned about your injury to coerce you into accepting a cheap settlement
- Misleading you into believing they will cover all of your expenses
- Delaying the process of your claim
- Disputing how severe your injuries actually are
- Claiming your injuries existed before your accident
An experienced lawyer will be familiar with the different tricks that insurance companies employ to get you to take a lowball offer and they can help make sure that your legal rights are protected. At Guster Law Firm, LLC, we have been helping the people of Birmingham and surrounding communities obtain the injury and accident settlements that they are entitled to since 2002. Our legal team is known for our experience and persistence. Let us put our skills to work for you today.