Bike Accident Lawyers in Birmingham
Bicycle & Motor Vehicle Accidents - Call (205) 386-6844 Today
Bicycles are a healthy and convenient method for getting around Birmingham. As a rider, you get exercise, you don't have to worry about parking, you don't spend any money on gas, and it's environmentally friendly. The only drawback is the negligent drivers on Alabama's roads.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a bicycle accident with a motor vehicle, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. To find out more about your legal rights and options, you need to talk to a skilled and compassionate accident attorney in Birmingham. Guster Law Firm, LLC has been successfully representing Alabama injury victims since 2002. Let us put our tenacity and knowledge behind your case.
Compensation in a Bicycle vs. Motor Vehicle Accident in Birmingham
If you or a family member is injured in an accident with a car, you or they may be eligible to pursue compensation for the following damages if the motorist is found to be at fault.
You may be able to recover compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Permanent injury
- Permanent disability
- Costs of physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Loss of a limb
- Hedonic damages for loss of joy of life
- Punitive damages
- Household and vehicle modifications while you recover (wheelchair ramps, etc.)
- Wrongful death damages if you and your family have lost a loved one
Common Causes of Birmingham Bicycle vs. Motor Vehicle Accidents
Bicycle vs. motor vehicle accidents occur for a variety of reasons. While many drivers blame these accidents on bicyclists riding poorly, blowing through stop signs and traffic signals, not signaling or being aware of traffic, the reality is quite different. Vehicle accident studies show that less than 10 percent of bicycle vs. motor vehicle accidents were caused by the bicyclist.
The four most common causes of bicycle vs. motor vehicle accidents are:
- A motor vehicle coming to an intersection and not completely stopping or proceeding into the intersection before it was safe to do so
- A motor vehicle turning in front of bicycle rider
- A motor vehicle unsafely overtaking a bicycle or passing too close
- A motor vehicle opening its door into a passing cyclist
This evidence suggests that bicycle vs. motor vehicle accidents have much more to do with inattentive and aggressive driving than poor cycling behavior.
Other common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Drivers Not Sharing the Roadway: One of the biggest problems that plague bicyclists is the fact that many drivers simply don’t want to share the road. Under these circumstances, the motorist will frequently get too close to a rider while trying to pass them and end up clipping the tire or running into the rear end of the bike instead. This is why most states have specific laws concerning the amount of space drivers are supposed to give cyclists when in the same lane.
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is a hazardous issue that continues to cause numerous traffic accidents, including those that involve bicycles. Whether eating, talking on the phone, texting, putting on makeup, or looking at something on the side of the road, it only takes a second for one of these distractions to result in a disastrous incident.
- Failure to See Nearby Cyclists: Cars are known for having blind spots, and it’s not uncommon for cyclists to get caught in these, making them impossible for a driver to see and automatically putting them in harm’s way. Bikers get hit quite a bit for this reason when cars are attempting to make a right turn or when they swerve to the side to avoid a collision with another vehicle, never realizing a bike has been along their side the whole time.
Bike Accident Statistics
According to the Alabama Department of Transportation, in 2013 there were 264 traffic accidents involving bicycles, resulting in 192 injuries and six fatalities. While those numbers are down from earlier in this decade, they are still too high to be acceptable. Nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 2013 saw a tragic 743 bicycle fatalities caused by motor vehicles. Bicycle accidents are a problem nationwide, not just in Birmingham.
Contact a Birmingham Bike Accident Attorney Today
While the Birmingham bicycle accident lawyers at Guster Law Firm, LLC sincerely hope you never need our services, rest assured that we will be there to represent you and your family should you ever need us. We can help you pursue a financial settlement that helps you heal and move on after a bicycle accident.
Call our Birmingham offices for a free consultation at (877) 487-8375.